What is a Port Authority?

We are a local government entity that is granted special permissions/abilities through the Ohio Revised Code.

What is the difference between the Lorain Port & Finance Authority and the Lorain
County Port Authority?

The Lorain Port and Finance Authority is a completely separate entity from the Lorain County Port Authority located in Elyria at 226 Middle Avenue on the fifth floor. While they have similar capabilities offered through the ORC, each organization has its own executive director, staff, board of directors and set of operating procedures. The Lorain Port and Finance Authority currently only owns property in the City of Lorain. The Lorain County Port Authority owns/manages properties throughout the county.

Do you manage the Lorain County Land Bank?

The Lorain County Land Bank is managed by the Lorain County Port Authority. They can be reached at 440-328-2326 or 440-328-2336.

Do you book talent for events at Black River Landing?

No. Various promoters rent the site and are solely responsible for booking any and all talent.

How can I reserve one of the tents with picnic tables for my (class reunion, birthday, etc.) during a Rockin’ on the River concert?

The Rockin’ on the River promoters handle all tent reservations. They can be reached at 330-730-7591 or riverconcerts@aol.com

Can I bring my food truck to Black River Landing?

Event promoters coordinate all food and drink vendors for their respective events. We do have a separate application for vendors who want to sell goods when events aren’t taking place. Our Vendor License Application includes a $50 license fee (yearly), and a $50 application fee that is charged per occurrence and/or per facility.

How do I know which dates are available for rentals?

Call in and ask about a date you have in mind. We typically rent facilities from March through the second week in October. Unfortunately, weekend dates are hard to come by between Memorial Day and the third weekend in September as we host Rockin’ on the River nearly every Friday. When concerts aren’t happening, we have longstanding events like the International Festival, The Summer Market, BrewFest and the Labor Day Family Celebration, and we avoid back-to-back rentals as we cannot ensure the condition of the site between renters. The building is also not available after the second week in October through the end of February as the International Trees and Model Trains Display is set up, enjoyed and then taken down during that time.

Is Black River Landing always open?

BRL is open to the public when an event isn’t taking place. The park opens at dawn and closes at 11 p.m.

Are dogs welcome at BRL?

When an event isn’t taking place, yes, BRL is a dog-friendly park featuring walking paths, pet waste stations and a doggie water fountain. Dogs are not welcome at Rockin’ on the River. Event promoters/organizers are responsible for determining if they allow dogs or not and should be contacted directly.

How much does it cost to have a concert or festival at BRL?

Overall cost varies from event to event, but additional expenses would include insurance, litter control, bathroom attendants, security, stage lighting and sound, performers/DJ, port-o-johns, garbage bags and dumpster pickup. If alcohol is sold, there is also a few associated with the liquor permit. All of this generally enters the $7,500-15,000 range on top of the deposit and rental fees. Renters are responsible for coordinating everything needed for the event. We simply provide the site, offer guidance and ensure everything is in working order.